We have had beautiful fall weather this year. So many unusually sunny days to enjoy. But now the days are shorter and jackets are a necessity once more. I'm not looking forward to the cold but I do enjoy seeing the different seasons. Since my last post, we have been studying this beautiful season and it's many wonderful aspects such as apples and pumpkins and maple! (oh my). Pics to follow!

I made several file folder games to go along with the theme. Below, Ryder is doing an apple fractions file folder and Colton is working on pumpkin shape and pattern matching!
As you can see he loves doing them! Especially if i watch and act surprised when he gets things right :)
We went on some nature walks and 'sketch' walks.
Willow has a beautiful nature book she was given at our co op. I love seeing her drawings in it.
 Above is one of the leaves Ryder drew in his nature book. He loves to draw these days.
We read the book Apples Up On Top (huge hit) by Dr Seuss and then did some fun stuff to go along with it. Like seeing how many apples we could stack on top of each other using playdoh to hold. I loved watching them try to work out the best way to stack the most. On their sides, with more or less play doh etc
Ryder matching the sight words and Colton matching the letters on the apple tree.
We talked about apples and fractions and then cut one to explore the inside. After munching on his, Colton ran outside to plant his apple seeds!
We couldn't let fall go by without apple picking. It's honestly one of my favorite things to do each year as a family. This time my husband's parents came along to make it even more special. 
We read lots and lots of books from the library.
And visited a little fair in our town.
Colton loved painting his 'baby pumpkin' that he got to pick out all himself.
I cut out some maple leaves from construction paper and the kids decorated them using a marble. Messy but a nice new way for them to paint.
Then I strung them together into a garland to festively decorate the 'school' room. 
Colton has been getting lots and LOTS of practice using his scissors (he loves it and will literally cut up every piece of work he does if I don't grab it first!).
He is also learning to hold a pencil/crayon correctly. Struggling a bit but we'll get there. I'm going to try to find those plastic pencil grip things to help him.
After getting some baby rabbits, Willow has been enjoying making them treats and the whole process of doing it herself without Mum getting in the way. My plan is to move her onto taking over dinner ;)
The boys have also been in the kitchen helping with cooking. This was to be a peanut butter pie to take to Grandma's.  
Lots of building in general going on. STEM activities are definitely their favorite so I try to include at least one in each theme.

Lastly, we did some camping ... in the frigid cold! But it was fun being with family.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farm theme Week 2

Farm theme week 1